Wednesday, August 11, 2010

First Day of Ramadan

I called my Muslim friend yesterday to talk about the rules of Ramadan. I learned that I need to get up at 4am (before sun rise) to eat, fast through the day and eat again at sun down around 8pm. I also have to make sure that I pray 5 times a day and read the Quran in my case the bible in the evening or sometime in the day. These rules are similar to that of Christians; we are suppose to pray and read our bible on a daily bases, so I figured that is something I can do. I could not get up at 4am, so I missed eating before sun rise. I did not let that stop me though, I went on with the fast and I did it; I am so proud of my self. It was not easy; I was very hungry in course of the day but I hope things get a bit easy as time goes on.

Praying 5 times a day was a challenge; I prayed in the morning and by the time I realized it was almost 2:30pm and I had not prayed my second prayer. I became aware of it then, so I ended up getting all of my prayers in today, but it wasn't easy. I was also able to put in my bible reading today. I read Genesis chapter 1, Psalms chapter 1 and 2 and Matthew chapter 1. In each of these chapters that I read, I got something new from it. These were chapter I thought I have read before but I found something in each of the books that touched me.
In Genesis I read in chapter 1 verse 29-30 that "then God said, 'I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. "30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground - everything that has the breath of life in it - I give every green plant for food . And it was so."

What I realized by reading this was God's plan for us was to eat vegetables and fruits not all the process foods that we've being eating. God created us and knows what it's best for our bodies, so why don't we follow his guide for us on food? This was a big eye opener for me today. Another eye opener was something I read in Psalms. 2:7-8; it reads " I will proclaim the decree of the Lord: He said to me, 'You are my son; today I have become your father. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession". God is our father and he wants us to ask of him; if only we will ask he will make things happen in our lives. I don't know about you but I have heard ministers talk about this; but reading it today it hit me in a different way.

In all I think I did good today, I can safely say that my first day of fasting (Ramadan) was a success. I look forward to tomorrow, I hope I will be able to get up at 4am for the morning meal; we shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home